Monday, May 6, 2013

Fight Over N3b Nollywood Grant: FG Wades In

The federal government, through its Minsters of Culture; and Finance; Edum Duke and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala respectively, has intervened in the crisis that has torn Nollywood apart over the N3billion grant by President Goodluck Jonathan in March 2013. At a town hall meeting with heads of Nollywood groups held in Lagos two weeks ago, the government said everyone one of Nollywood practitioners would have equal opportunity to access the fund.
Okonjo said scriptwriters, filmmakers and others would get the money based on merit. She noted that the N3billion fund would not be like the ‘infamous’ N200 billion Entertainment Intervention Fund which those in the creative industry have complained of being too hard to access.
The meeting was held with its doors shut at journalists but Okonjo briefed newsmen shortly after the closed door meeting ended.
There had been crisis in Nollywood over the fund. Those present at the meeting expressed satisfaction over the prompt intervention of the government in the disbursement of the money.

No comments: