Translate

Friday, January 11, 2013

Kaduna Politician Linked To Sambo Escapes Assassination Attempt

The former Chairman of the Kaduna Chapter of the Petroleum Tanker Drivers Association, PTD, and a stalwart of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the state, Nuhu Marafa, escaped an assassination in front of his house located at Tirkania area of the town. Mr. Marafa, also popularly known as ‘Intelligent’, was last year arrested by the Nigerian Army after an early morning raid on his residence on January 13, 2012 and accused of supplying weapons to terrorists.
He was however discharged and acquitted by a Magistrate Court Judge on September, 17, 2012 due to what the Judge described as lack of “diligent prosecution” by relevant authorities.
Narrating his ordeal at the Kakuri Police Station on Friday, Mr. Marafa said he was attacked by three persons armed with dangerous weapons while on his way to the mosque around 4:45 a.m. on Friday .
“I just saw three hoodlums who appeared from nowhere while I was trekking to the mosque near my house,” he said.
He added that the men tried to strangle him and even “stabbed me severally between my neck and collar born, but the dagger Gods willing did not penetrate”.
Mr. Marafa said one of the attackers brought out a machete and hit him on the leg which made him summon the courage to wrestle with them and shout for help.
“My attackers fled when people came to my rescue, I was lucky to have escaped with only bruises from my inner right ankle,” he added.
Mr. Marafa said he can identify one of the attackers who was wearing a winter cap.
He also said the attack may not be unconnected to his growing popularity in his bid to re-contest the position of the Chairmanship of the Association he headed some years back.
“I am not surprise if the attempt to my life is not unconnected to my growing popularity to contest again, the same people have made failed attempt to frame me up for terrorism last year and I forgave them.
“They also wrote a petition against the judgement of the court that discharged me against all the framed up charges last year”, he added.
When contacted, the spokesperson of the police in the state, Aminu Lawan, confirmed the incident and said “the force has already commenced investigation into the possible attempted homicide”.
Mr. Marafa is closely associated to Vice President Namadi Sambo.
He was the leader of a group known as “Namadi Ambassadors” and campaigned vigorously for Mr. Sambo’s gubernatorial election in 2007.

No comments: