Translate

Friday, May 3, 2013

Youths kick as LG boss emerges Oba-elect


Obas-palace-360x206

Youths in Ijede, a suburb of Ikorodu in Ijede Local Council Development Area, Lagos State, have protested against moves by the town kingmakers to make the Chairman of the LCDA, Mr. Adefarasin Hassan, the new traditional ruler of the community.
Plans are in top gear to have a new monarch in the town following the death of the Alajede of Ijede, Fatai Ladega II, and Hassan has emerged as the monarch-elect.
But the youth, who had been expressing their opposition to the choice of the kingmakers, said Hassan, who had been occupying one political office or another in the state for the past 15 years, had not benefitted the town.
Hassan was a member of the state House of Assembly between 1999 and 2007, and is serving his second term as the LCDA Chairman.
During a series of the protest which took place on Thursday and Friday last week, the youth of the town also alleged that Hassan was ineffective even as Chairman of LCDA.
Afeez, one of the youths involved in the protest said, “We protested because Hassan has been in office for a long period and has done nothing significant todevelop the community.
“He plans to become Oba and he is still maintaining his office as LCDA Chairman. We do not want that.”
A resident of the area, Yede Kunle, said he had lived in the community most of his life and very few changes could be seen.
He said, “When I heard that the youths protested against Hassan becoming an Oba, I did not criticise them because he deserved it. I have lived in this community most of my life and I can say nothing has been done to improve it.”
Our correspondent learnt that the mastermind behind the protest was Hasan’s cousin.
However, Hassan said any development seen in Ijede came through him and that if he had been ineffective, the same people would not have cast their vote for him for a second term as chairman.
He said, “I have a strong stand in this community, so why should anybody protest against me. They cannot stop me from becoming the next king.
“I have attended the necessary interviews with the king makers and have even written an exam which took me about two hours to complete. I have never seen such in my life but I did it anyway.
“I have been the chairman since 2008 till date. Any development seen in Ijede is through me, and comes with pictorial evidence. I have influenced them positively and they would not have voted me in for a second term if I had been ineffective.
“Some people are saying we should organise our own rally to counter what opposition is doing. But I am still consulting the commissioner on the issue.”
Hassan said his cousin brought thugs into the community to carry out the protest against him.
He said, “The youths who protested from the community were about ten. Theremaining are my cousin’s boys who he invited into the community to protest.”

No comments: