Five shot, houses burnt, youths sack Ekiti monarch
Five persons were allegedly shot and critically wounded while some houses were set ablaze following a violencewhich erupted on Friday in Ilupeju Ekiti in Oye Local Government Area of Ekiti State over chieftaincy tussle.
Our correspondent gathered that the Apeju of Ilupeju, Oba Olaleye Oniyelu, was chased out of the palace while the palace was attacked by irate youths, who were against the choice of Mr. Israel Ojo, who the monarch had planned to install as the Olugbosu, a traditional chieftaincy title in the town.
The title, which is said to be the third in rank to the monarch, was said to have been in contention for three years.
The Oba was said to have been ferried away from the palace by his loyalists but he told our correspondent on the telephone that he was in the palace as at 4:45 pm.
It was also gathered that some hoodlums set some houses ablaze as the riot raged in the town.
A resident of the town, who identified himself as Dayo, told our correspondent that while the monarch’s choice is Ojo, the people of the town had wanted one Mr. Aseperi, who they said was more qualified for the title.
He said the monarch’s choice, Ojo, was dancing to the palace for his inauguration on Friday morning when some of the people following him started shooting.
According to him, some people were hit by the bullets and this resulted in the crisis that engulfed the town.
But another source said some hoodlums had laid in ambush for Ojo when he was on his way to the palace.
It was gathered that the intervention of the police prevented the crisis from causing more damage to lives and property.
However, the Oba denied either causing the crisis or being chased away from the palace.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Victor Babayemi, who confirmed the crisis, said 22 persons had been arrested in connection with the crisis.