No fewer than 33 persons have been killed in the renewed violence between the Fulani and indigenous Tarohcommunities ofLangtang SouthLocal GovernmentAreaof Plateau State.
Among the dead were said to be students sitting for the 2013 NationalExamination Council.
A local pastor of the Church of Christ in Nations, Rev. Nandip Miri, told our correspondent on the telephone he lost his father and brother in the attack.
Fighting was said to have been raging in the restive Plateau south for the past 48 hours as the indigenes of Bolgang, Magama and Karkashi districts of Langtang South battle some invaders suspected to be Fulani herdsmen.
Our correspondent gathered that 24 people were killed in Magama, while nine others were killed in Bolgang.
Eyewitness said many of the areas had been deserted as the attackers followed fleeing residents on motorcycles as they fled their villages.
Miri, who is the Chairman of Provisional Church Council of Nigeria said the death toll might be higher as corpses of those killed, while fleeing, still littered the road and the bush.
He said, “We cannot know the actual number of people who lost their lives as we are still picking dead bodies from the bush.
“The attackers followed the victims on motorcycles and were killing them mercilessly as they tried to escape. So many dead bodies were found in the bush and more may still be found later.”
Senator representing Plateau South, Mr. Victor Lar, called for restraint and advised the people to remain calm.
Police Commissioner, Mr. Chris Olakpe, told our correspondent that he had yet to get the details of the incident.
Confirming the incident to our correspondent in Jos on the telephone on Thursday, the Management Committee Chairman of Langtang South Local Government Council Mr. Narman Darko, said 33 persons were killed in the three villages that were invaded by suspected herdsmen.
Darko gave the breakdown as follows, Magama 24; Bolgan, seven and two people were killed in Magama and Karkashi, adding that over 100 houses were burnt by the suspected Fulani attackers.
He said, he had informed the Special Task Force of the attack, adding that they had moved their men to prevent further destruction of lives and property in the area.