Translate

Friday, June 28, 2013

I can’t shoot Amaechi for leading protest —CP

amaechi rotimi

RIVERS State PoliceCommissioner, Mr. Mbu Joseph Mbu, has said he will not shoot the state Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, if he (governor) eventually embarks on a planned protest in the state.
Mbu was reacting to Amaechi’s insistence to embark on a protest over the security situation in the state and the ban placed on all forms of demonstration by the state police commissioner.
Amaechi had dared the state police commissioner to shoot him, adding that he was ready to lead the proposed protest in the state against the Federal Government and Mbu.
But Mbu, who spoke at the state Police Command in Port Harcourt on Thursday while displaying a cache of arms and ammunition recovered by his men, said it was not possible for him to shoot a governor during a protest.
On Amaechi’s insistence to mobilise the people for a protest, he said the government was not contemplating such an action.
Explaining that though the ban on processions, rallies and demonstrations was still in force, Mbu described Amaechi as his boss and would not disrespect him.
The CP said, “How can I shoot my governor? It is not possible for me to do that. The state governor is my friend and my boss. The governor is the chief executive of the state, and I am his 2-I-C.
“On the planned protest by the governor, I know His Excellency is not thinking towards that direction, and we won’t discuss that now until then.”
He, however, accused the media of exaggerating what he said on the political crisis affecting the state.
Culled: Punchng

No comments: