Translate

Friday, April 5, 2013

I ‘ve won 95 cases against govt – Alaafin

IBADAN—ALAAFIN of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, said yesterday that since he assumed the throne 42 years ago, he had filed no fewer than 100 cases against governments in courts, saying he won 95 of them.
The monarch said: “As these young men have observed, I have spent the last 42 years on the throne as the Alaafin, to contribute my quota to the development of traditional institution in Nigeria.
“In doing these, I have approached the courts with over 100 cases and in all the decided cases, with due respect to members of the Bench, the Inner Silk and the lawyers, the Alaafin has never lost a case on traditional institution matters.”
Though, he admitted that whoever had rivalry with government would feel the heat, he stressed that he did this as his contribution to the traditional institution.
He said these at the launch of a 389-page book entitled Chieftaincy Law in Nigeria: Principles and Practice, in Ibadan.
“I am a stickler to the rule of law and this is informed by my conviction that if the rule of law is removed from our society, we shall be living in an animal kingdom.”

No comments: