Translate

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Gov Amaechi renames road after Azazi


BY JIMITOTA ONOYUME PORT HARCOURT— Nkpogu Road in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has been renamed Owoye Andrew Azazi Road.
Governor Chibuike Amaechi announced this, weekend, at the funeral of late General Andrew Azazi, inYenagoa, Bayelsa State, who died in a helicopter crash on Saturday, December 15, 2012.
The governor described the late Army general and former National Security Adviser, as one who  believed in a united and stronger Nigeria.
He said the state government had to rename the road after Azazi as a mark of appreciation of his service to nation building.
Amaechi said he had a very warm relationship with the late general, adding that most times he had meals in Azazi’s house whenever he was in Lagos or Abuja. Lamenting the death, the governor said he would greatly miss the late Azazi who often called him his younger brother.azazi_burial
Amaechi further assured the family of the late general that he would stand by them any time they wanted his assistance.
He said: “Looking at the numerous contributions and sterling qualities of late General Azazi to this nation, and his love towards me, who he usually called his younger brother, I am left with no option than to name Nkpogu Road after him by Monday (today).
“Most times, when I got to Lagos and Abuja, I ate in late General Azazi’s house. We have a close relationship. But now he is gone, who will call me a younger brother? Where will I eat when I visit Lagos or Abuja?
“He was a detribalised Nigerian. It was my wife, Judith, who first called my attention on phone that, shortly after she had left Bayelsa State, information reaching her indicated that there had been an helicopter crash. She said it could be the helicopter carrying late General Azazi. I called his (Azazi) line 20 times to confirm the unfortunate incident, but no one answered.”
Turning to the bereaved family, Amaechi said: “If there is anything that you want me to do for you in the form of support or assistance, please, kindly call my attention.”

No comments: